Monday, 11 April 2016

Childhood Favourites (#readersforachange)

Ever since I was very, very young, I have always loved and taken an interest in reading. My parents fed my reading addiction with countless picture books, and still feed my needs with Young Adult novels. As an avid reader, of course I have many favourites, but today, I'll be talking about some of my favourite books that made my childhood absolutely wonderful.

1. David's Father by Robert Munsch


Of all the Robert Munsch books, this book has always resonated with me. I'm not quite sure why, but I think it may have to do with the fact that it's one of the first ones I read by him and it was in my native language, traditional Chinese. Like Julie, I have always had a bit of social anxiety meeting and talking with new people. But when she made a new friend named David, I felt that I could make a friend too. And later, I did.

2. Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne


I started reading this series back in kindergarten. Yes, kindergarten. Even though this is technically a middle grade series, I flew through these and my reading level blew way past kindergarten standards. My teacher had no idea what to do with me, they still don't know what to do with me. Anyways, this holds a special place in my heart because it was one of the first series that I knew I HAD to finish. But they just keep publishing more and more... I still read them today. Their stories are so magical and informative, I just can't stop.

3. Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan


This series holds the most special place in my heart. It was the series that truly got me into reading in third grade, before the last book in the series was published. The originality of the idea that the gods are real had me awake at night, thinking, what if I'm a half blood? Percy and Annabeth were absolutely kick-ass for nine year old me. I just thought it'd be so cool, and I kept reading, and reading, and reading. I haven't really stopped since.


As you can see, my reading journey began with imaginative stories, and have made such a huge impact on my life. But sadly, not everyone has the same opportunities to read books during their childhood. Children in many developing countries don't have access to libraries or books to enrich their imagination.


This is why The Library Project @ library-project.org has come forward to many of us book bloggers today to help spread the word of this disheartening situation. The Library Project is a non-profit organization that strives to improve literacy rates by donating books to schools all throughout China, Cambodia, and Vietnam. In 2014, they invested in over $830,020 and donated more than 838,000 children's books to over 521,000 children who have access to these libraries.

This is an amazing cause, helping to support the education of children, improving their literacy rates, and creating opportunities for them later in life. I've already donated to this wonderful organization that does things that holds a special place in my heart: education.

I come from a family with a very strong value on education. Although I don't try as hard as I can in school, I always take the time to do homework and stuff like that and hold a 96% average in school. This work ethic in learning all started with my grandfather. He grew up in rural China and had to leave school to help his family's income. However, throughout the rest of his life, he learned everything he could; English as his third language by reading the newspaper almost everyday, and even learning how to use a computer and iPad at 80 years old. Not only was he a life-long learner, but he tried to spread his value on learning. He was a community leader in London, Ontario and won many awards in recognition for his work. He instilled his values on me and I made him a promise before he passed away two years ago.. okay I'm going to stop this part now because I'm crying as I write this.

He is an inspiration I will never forget, and if I can help to make one difference in the world, I feel he would love it if you could help donate to the Library Project. With their mission to improve literacy rates for children in developing countries, we the book blogging community should be making a stand and helping these children discover what has become such a big part of our lives, so that maybe it will become a big part of their life too. 

It would be very appreciated if you could consider making a donation to this very important cause. You can make a donation right here: https://fundraise.library-project.org/checkout/donation?eid=51902

What are some of your favourite books from your childhood?

6 comments:

  1. Oh Em, this post is so emotional! Childhood books are so important because they stick in your mind forever, and it's great that you're giving that opportunity to others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was such a wonderful read. I loved hearing about your Grandfather. Thank you also for donating ❤️😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of The Percy Jackson series, but the Magic Tree House series and David's Father sound like great books too :) Imaginative stories are so important for child development (and for us adults too!)

    http://natalieslife.com/2016/04/the-library-project-favourite-childhood-book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are amazing books I think! I'm lucky I was able to read them during my childhood! :)

      Delete

Comment: