Saturday, 2 April 2016

ARC Review: The Haters by Jesse Andrews

The Haters (ARC)
By: Jesse Andrews
Pages: 352
Published: April 5th, 2016
Published by: Amulet Book
Format: e-ARC
Source: NetGalley
My Rating: 4/5 stars
Sypnosis:
"Inspired by the years he spent playing bass in a band himself, The Haters is Jesse Andrews’s road trip adventure about a trio of jazz-camp escapees who, against every realistic expectation, become a band.

For Wes and his best friend, Corey, jazz camp turns out to be lame. It’s pretty much all dudes talking in Jazz Voice. But then they jam with Ash, a charismatic girl with an unusual sound, and the three just click. It’s three and a half hours of pure musical magic, and Ash makes a decision: They need to hit the road. Because the road, not summer camp, is where bands get good. Before Wes and Corey know it, they’re in Ash’s SUV heading south, and The Haters Summer of Hate Tour has begun.

In his second novel, Andrews again brings his brilliant and distinctive voice to YA, in the perfect book for music lovers, fans of The Commitments and High Fidelity, or anyone who has ever loved—and hated—a song or a band. This witty, funny coming-of-age novel is contemporary fiction at its best."


Add THE HATERS on Goodreads right here!
I received an advanced reader's copy from NetGalley and Amulet Book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you for allowing me to read this!

I was so, so excited to read this book ever since I first heard of it last year. I loved Me, Earl and the Dying Girl which is also by Jesse Andrews. So when I received it as my first e-ARC, I was completely ecstatic! It completely met my expectations and I just couldn't stop reading it! The Haters for me is a solid 4/5 stars with its unique voice and very, very real characters.

One of the things I really loved with Me, Earl and the Dying Girl was Jesse Andrews' voice and way he tells the story. I was not disappointed when his writing style came back full-force in this novel. The Haters has a very raw voice with its direct and straight-to-the-point sentences which I love just as much as the beautifully written sentences in other books. His writing is concise, yet still captures the depth it is trying to express.

Not only was the writing well-done, but the format of some parts of the book was very interesting as well. At times to explain some of the musicians the characters were referencing, Andrews would include short mock "Wikipedia" pages, as well as lists to explain their opinions on the particular artist. I felt that these were done at appropriate times, and weren't over-used at all. In fact, I found them pretty useful for where they were placed. As a music student myself, I loved all of the musical aspects of this book, and thought they were pretty accurate as well.

The next part I loved about this book was that the characters were really real to me. The way they talked is pretty similar to how I find a lot of the high school students in my school talk. I felt connected to the characters in that way. Wes, Corey, and Ash all had unique quirks in how they talked and acted, so I easily understood more about them as a character because of the way they would interact with each other.

This book was hilarious. Like Me, Earl and the Dying Girl, I was constantly laughing out loud at the dialogue between the characters. Corey and Wes' interactions constantly had me trying to stifle my laughter as I was reading in geography class and wow, just wow at how Andrews' is such a funny writer.

The reason this book was a four stars as opposed five stars for me, is because of the fact that I felt they barely got anything done in the 352 pages. While the writing style is concise, the characters aren't straight to the point they go on a whirlwind of things that I felt didn't add to their development as much as I would have liked. Basically they did a lot of things, but they didn't do a lot of meaningful things.

Final Verdict:
On the high note (pun-intended hehe), I really liked The Haters. It was a musical journey of three kids trying to find their sound and their way in life like teenagers. If you like music and hilarious road trip novels, then The Haters is definitely for you.

THE HATERS releases in stores on April 5th, 2016!

4 comments:

  1. I really like the sound of the writing! I love it when books are direct and raw and I don't seem to read them enough. The part where you mentioned that not much happens worries me because that's one of the quickest roads to a DNF for me, but I'm usually more annoyed by it in fantasies and paranormal books than contemporaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the book was pretty funny in all the spots where they didn't do much, but it was one of the slower books I felt. I would say try it from the library first to see if you like it or not. Thanks for stopping by Kaitlin! :D

      Delete
  2. This one looks interesting! I'm always hesitant to read contemporaries but maybe I'll have to give this one a try. Plus, I really love the cover :)
    Great Review, Em! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayyyy! I hope you give it a try too! Thanks Faitho! <3

      Delete

Comment: