Sunday, 20 March 2016

Book Review: An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

An Ember in the Ashes
By: Sabaa Tahir
Pages: 464
Published: April 28th, 2015
Published by: Razorbill
Format: Hardcover
Source: Library
My Rating: 4/5 stars
Sypnosis:
"Laia is a slave. Elias is a soldier. Neither is free.

Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear.

It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do.

But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy.

There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself."

Add AN EMBER IN THE ASHES to Goodreads right here! 

The main reason I finally picked up this book was because Sabaa Tahir and a bunch of other Razorbill authors are coming to Toronto in about a week and a half and I was pushed to read this book because it's one of the ones that looks interesting for me. But anyways, I really liked it. It was a gripping sort of dystopian fantasy adventure story that set up for future books to come which is why I rated An Ember in the Ashes with a 4 out of 5 stars. 

I really liked the world building and how the world Laia and Elias live in is a very, very dark world. I like worlds that are dark and gritty, and don't try and hide all that bad stuff. In this world, it is very evident where people are often abused emotionally and physically. The author treated this subject with a lot of care too, so it was well handled.


I also really liked the concept of the Trials and how the characters had endure these obstacles. In a way, I found it similar yet different to the concepts of Divergent and the Hunger Games, but the author was able to make it original in the end.

The characters and their motives were pretty well done as well. They were both really interesting with their backgrounds and the obstacles they had to endure throughout the novel. They had distinct voices and different worries in their heads. However, I felt that while they were different from each other, they often kept repeating their goals which made it sort of annoying to read. Laia was always going on about saving her brother, and Elias was always about freedom... so that's one part of the negativity.

Overall, the book felt sort of cliché in lots of places with its dystopian fantasy feel and I know that didn't work with a lot of people. However, it worked okay with me, and I loved it because it was two of my favourite genres together. This is why I kept going back and forth on my rating for this book, but I feel four stars works for this book.

Final Verdict:
An Ember in the Ashes is a compelling competition set in a dark, fantasy dystopian world with intriguing characters who just want to be set free. This book can be a hit-or-a-miss, and for me it was on target. I'm hoping the next book will be able to build on these character developments that were set in this book.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved this book! It was dark and mysterious but also a bit shocking and oh so suspenseful! I think my favourite character is Elias, and I'm really looking forward to where she takes the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Elias was my favourite character too! I'm really excited to see the story develop as well!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this one as well. I wasn't overly impressed but I devoured it. I thought it was a little too long page-number wise; it could have been a little shorter to keep it from repeating itself at times.

    I'm curious to see what is going to happen next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... it was a bit long page wise, but I did quite like it. I can't wait to see what happens next too!

      Delete

Comment: