Wednesday, 16 March 2016

Book Review: Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

Carry On
By: Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 522
Published:  October 6th 2015
Published by: Macmillian
Format: Hardcover
Source: Library
My Rating: 5/5 stars

Sypnosis:
Simon Snow is the worst chosen one who’s ever been chosen.

That’s what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he’s probably right.

Half the time, Simon can’t even make his wand work, and the other half, he sets something on fire. His mentor’s avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there’s a magic-eating monster running around wearing Simon’s face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here—it’s their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon’s infuriating nemesis didn’t even bother to show up.

Carry On is a ghost story, a love story, a mystery and a melodrama. It has just as much kissing and talking as you’d expect from a Rainbow Rowell story—but far, far more monsters.

Add CARRY ON to Goodreads right here!

Carry On was one of my favourite reads of 2015. Based on the fictional story that Cath loves in Fangirl (also by Rainbow Rowell), Carry On was the story of Simon Snow who is one of the chosen ones. The magical aspects play a slight parody on the widely popular Harry Potter one. However, once you past the first two hundred pages or so, the story really becomes its own with its amazing characters which is why I give Carry On a 5 out of 5 stars.

Yes, there are many aspects that do make it cringe-worthy at the beginning that make it seem like a play on Harry Potter. Yes, they go to a magical school which also doubles as a fancy castle. Yes, Simon feels like a mix of Ron and Harry; yes, Penelope is kind of totally like Hermione; and yes, Draco is Baz. Oh wait I meant the other way around. Okay, there are definitely many aspects of which seem like a Harry Potter book. But then again, once past the two hundred mark, things really start to take off as its own story. I don't want to say much more than that otherwise I would end up spoiling it, but please at least try to make it past the 200 mark if you are trying to decide to throw it against the wall for being too similar to Harry Potter.

What I really loved about this book was the romance. As always, Rowell is always able to write a good fluffy romance that had me rooting for them since the beginning. Simon and Baz were no different. I don't think I've ever read a boy romance in YA fiction and boy, was this a good one to start with. I mean I had read fanfiction (*no shame*) but they were hopelessly hot and cute. Baz with his pent up feelings, and Simon was so innocent and didn't know what he was doing omg. I loved it so muchhh!

“I let myself slip away... Just to stay sane. Just to get through it. And when I felt myself slipping too far, I held on to the one thing I'm always sure of - Blue eyes. Bronze curls. The fact that Simon Snow is the most powerful magician alive. That nothing can hurt him, not even me. That Simon Snow is alive. And I'm hopelessly in love with him.”
Like awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... Baz you little cutie!!

Anyways, I also really liked the plot in this book because Simon really was not your average Chosen One. Sure, he had to make decisions to sacrifice things, but his role and end result is what I find actually really different than what I find most chosen ones end up doing. He is also a pretty nice character. He tries his best to do what is expected of him as the chosen one, but he's not super into it. He'd rather be a normal person and spend his days in the courtyard than trying to figure out who the Humdrum is. He is just different than your normal chosen one and maybe that's why I liked it so much. Oh, and did I mention Baz because he is literally the best character everrrrrrr.


Also, the magic phrases were awesome. I know some people just found it really cheesy, but I loved the fact that Rowell used freaking idioms, expressions, and just common phrases to make the magick in her world work. I thought it was a clever way to make system which makes it different from the other magic systems.

Final Verdict:
Carry On is a fun, magical, and fluffy read that has exquisite characters and romance. It is definitely a hit-or-miss read, but for me, it was definitely a bullseye! One of my favourite reads of 2015, that's for sure.

Also I mean look at this gorgeous map of Watford:


4 comments:

  1. I thought that the book was really cute and creative, but for me I found the plot to be kind of boring. I assume it was because I constantly compared it to Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, it was slightly boring at times. But when the plot picked up, I couldn't stop reading at all! Thanks for stopping by Emily! <3

      Delete
  2. Personally, this book doesn't work for me... It's just too similar to HP and Simon is just so boring and immature. I love the other characters though. Glad you liked it!

    tasya // the literary huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry this book didn't work for you! I completely understand the fact that it's kind of really similar to Harry Potter. I found Simon like that at times too, but it wasn't prominent enough for me to hinder my love for the book. Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete

Comment: