Hey! I've been reading Truthwitch by Susan Dennard and I decided that I also wanted to participate in the Truthwitch Read-Along hosted by the Waterwitch Babes! This week's discussion is hosted over at BookishWhimsy!
I'm past Chapter 9, so if you aren't, there are some spoilers ahead! So you have been warned!
1. Safi and Iseult are fantastic fighters. Have you ever wanted to learn how to fight, take self-defense classes or have you already? Tell us about your reasoning/experience!
I actually take karate and a couple of other martial arts! My primary style is shorin-ryu and I've been learning this style for nine years now! I definitely find it a lot of fun to learn how to defend myself from others. While you do learn how to take people down, I have also learned much more about how my body functions; from pressure points, muscle groups, and the direction of energy! If you don't already take a self-defense class, I would definitely encourage you to take one and see how you like it!
2. Of these specialized witcheries revealed so far (truthwitch, threadwitch, bloodwitch, wordwitch, windwitch, voicewitch) which power would you like to have and why?
I find that a Wordwitch would be a pretty cool witchery to have! Like with the ability to persuade others and be able to write magical documents would be pretty amazing!
3. The beginning of the book already features political intrigue, Safi and Iseult trying to get away, and the mystery of cleaving. Which plot point interests you the most so far, and why?
I quite like the plot point of the cleaved that you suggested! I also like the plot line of Merik and his sister, Vivia, because I loveeee sibling relationships, even if they aren't all that friendly with each other. They also remind me of Zuko and Azula from Avatar: The Last Airbender, who I loveeeee as well!
4. Share a favorite quote from the book!
“It was the circle of perfect motion. Of the light-bringer and dark-giver, the world-starter and shadow-ender. Of initiation and completion. It was the symbol of the Cahr Awen. Cahr Awen.”
This is from past chapter nine, but I love this because it shows the contrasts between the two Threadsisters! I'm a sucker for comparisons so, yeah, this satisfies me to no end.
5. Character Spotlight: Safiya | Talk about what you like or dislike about Safi. Do you identify with her in any way? What do you think about her actions so far?
I like Safiya. She's greatly stubborn which I identify with. She's brash and likes to speak up when she thinks things aren't correct. I'm much more shy than she is, so I admire those traits about her immensely. To be honest, I don't think she's done anything wrong. She's one to think with her heart, so everything she has done up to this point is what she thinks is right, and I have absolutely no problem with that!
And that concludes this week's discussion on Truthwitch! Have you also been reading Truthwitch? What do you think about it so far? Let me know in the comments!
Happy Lunar New Year! <3