Wednesday, 23 December 2015

Movie Review: The Force Awakens (Spoiler-Free)

Star Wars - The Force Awakens
Series: Star Wars Saga (#7)
Director: J.J. Abrams
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Length: 135 min
Released: December 18th, 2015
Rating: 95% (Rotten Tomatoes)
My Rating: 4/5 stars

Sypnosis:
Three decades after the defeat of the Galactic Empire, a new threat arises. The First Order attempts to rule the galaxy and only a rag-tag group of heroes can stop them, along with the help of the Resistance. (x)

As you all (hopefully) know, the new Star Wars movie, The Force Awakens, just released last week and broke all opening box office records. Today, I'm going to be talking about my thoughts of the movie and is absolutely spoiler-free



I just want to put this out there, this movie was GREAT okay. You may or may not know, but I'm actually a huge, huge fan of the saga, but the details will come later in another post. I would rate this movie with a 4/5 stars due to its amazing characters and was overall a fantastic reboot to the series. 

The main characters, Finn and Rey, were fresh new characters that I loved to follow around in this movie. Finn was one of the first characters we were introduced to, played by John Boyega, Finn’s unique background as a past storm trooper provided a different perspective to this movie being the fact that we've never seen a storm trooper turn to the good side. His acting was spot-on providing some of that clueless comic-relief and great one-liners here and there. That being said, with Rey, played by Daisy Ridley, as the main main character, she was badass and a great heroine and role model for all kids to look up to. She kicked-butt everywhere she went and lives up to the line of awesome female characters in the Star Wars universe. BB-8, the droid companion in the film, was super cute too.

The antagonist was great too. Kylo Ren, played by Adam Driver, was uber hot and with his anger issues, it makes me love him even more. He was a great character and played it so well that I wanted to hug Kylo to a million pieces (despite the fact that he’d probably kill me). Yes, he was that good, and that precious.

So what about the returning trio? Mannnn, the returning trio were greattt! Han Solo was pretty prominent in this movie and Harrison Ford fit right back into his character from before. He's still the handsome risk-taker with a smart-alek. Princess, or should I say, General Organa, played by Carrie Fisher, was a great part of the film too. Her returning relationship with Han is still #relationshipgoals. Luke, played by Mark Hamill, did not have a lot of screen time and I don't want to spoil anything so I'll just skip over him. Chewbacca, C-3PO and R2-D2 also were returning characters. Overall, the returning characters mostly took a backseat in this film to let the new kids take control of the show, but were still amazing and ties those original fans back to the original trilogy. 

How about the setting? Well, J. J. Abrams could have at least been a little more original here. Before I knew the planet was Jakku, I thought we were on Tatooine. Sand and more sand dunes. I literally thought we were on Tatooine until it was mentioned. So what about that snow planet? Pretty much Hoth with some pine trees (or as I like to say: CANADA). And that planet with water? I'm pretty sure that was Naboo. But in reality, I couldn't really care less, this didn't really affect my rating; it's just the little things a Star Wars fan notices. 


Now enough ranting about the setting, the plot was mostly what let me down I think. To keep this spoiler free, I'm going to have to be really vague. But all in all, similar plot points from the original and prequel trilogy were recycled in The Force Awakens. J. J. Abrams is great at rebooting franchises, but original ideas? Not so much.

So how would I describe this movie? I still find it surreal that there is a new Star Wars movie out. It's literally been my dream to be able to witness the Star Wars films in theatres, and now it's come true. But if I had to use one sentence to describe this movie? I think I would consider it as really, really good fanfiction. Don't get me wrong, The Force Awakens was a really great movie, in fact, it broke all box office records on its opening weekend, but there was something about it that makes me feel that it wasn't the best it could have been. Again, don't get me wrong, I'm extremely excited to see where the new films are headed and to be quite honest, The Force Awakens is still wayyyy better than the prequel trilogy.

Final verdict:
Despite some of the bad stuff I said about the movie, you should still really go see The Force Awakens. It was amazing and it's for sure to please any Star Wars fan. Not a Star Wars fan? This could make you become a young padawan.


Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed today's movie review! Have you seen The Force Awakens already? Let me know in the comments and maybe tweet me on Twitter so we can discuss!

May the Force be with you! :)

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes I feel like the odd ball out because I'm one of those people who was never able to get into Star Wars. I don't know what it is, I can't even remember if I've tried to watch it before, but I feel like if I went to see The Force Awakens, I would be sooo damn lost lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha, that's okay! Everyone has their own tastes! You might be a bit lost if you went to see The Force Awakens without seeing at least one of the other ones lol. Maybe try watching it again? Anyways, thank you for reading Tika! <3

      Delete
  2. *coughs* I've never seen Star Wars. I was supposed to binge watch the movies with friends recently, but that didn't work out. I've heard a LOT about it, though, so I know about some of the characters you mentioned. It's pretty neat that you were able to see a Star Wars movie in theaters. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU SHOULD REALLY TRY WATCHING THEM!! I was crying throughout the entire movie, it was too beautiful! And thank you for reading Kaitlin! <3

      Delete
  3. I loved the new characters so much. I really loved angsty Kylo. Overall I loved the movie, but it felt at times that they were just trying to jam as much nostalgia as they could into the movie and I felt like that took away from the movie just a little bit. But It did have a great mix of old and new. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with all your points! I think it's the style that J.J. Abrams has, he's good at revamping franchises with many nostalgic elements. Thank you for reading! <3

      Delete

Comment: