Saturday, 21 November 2015

ONE MONTH BLOGIVERSARY + 5 Things I Learned from Blogging

 
Yayyy! I did it. I made it through my first month of blogging at Piplup's Shadowy Bookshelf! This has been such an eye-opening experience and I've already met soooo many new people; I am so thankful for starting this blog. With all my heart, thank you so, so, so much for reading.

Now onto 5 things that I've learned from blogging, thus far.

1. Time and Commitment

Running a blog takes a hell lot of commitment that I don't think I would have realized without actually starting my own. On Twitter, I follow a lot of book bloggers and always find that a lot of them are posting almost every single day. When I first started, I thought to myself: "I've got this, I'm going to post at least every other day." Boy was I so wrong. I was having trouble posting two things a week, much less every other day. lol, I've learned my lesson. I envy those who do manage to post almost everyday, but first, I'll be improving my own posting schedule. I'm hoping to post about 2 - 4 times per week now.

2. It's not about the followers or readers

At first, when I started, I was getting a tiny little trickle of readers of maybe about 3-10 views per day. I thought the people who were following me on Twitter would automatically read my blog and at that point, I probably had about 100 followers. (I know I'm really stupid.) But of course, looking back, I have to work for my readers and followers. No one can become an instant blog sensation. All those popular bloggers that I follow on Twitter, have put in so much time an effort into blogging, that I significantly pale in comparison. I'm extremely sorry that I ever even thought about it omg. But I've changed my mindset now. In reality, the follower or view count really doesn't matter, what matters is that I'm talking about what I want to talk about and doing what I love. I'm just going to keep blogging, and if people like what I have to say and decide to follow, fine and yay. But if you just wanna read my posts and not follow, that's fine, too. I'm totally okay with that. And that's probably one of the most important things that have changed me since I started blogging.

3. Aesthetics

In the blogging world, aesthetics (or just nice graphics in general) are super important. If any of you were reading my blog in October, or the first part of November, you probably saw how horridly it looked. I didn't have a blog banner, and that background was eww. Thank god Claire (@BlankSlaters) brought this to my attention, and pointed me in a better direction. I owe you everything Claire. (*hugs*) So, basically after that I went through an almost who design revamp and well, I think it looks pretty slick now? Idk. You guys can tell me your thoughts in the comments. Yeah, not just should your blog look good, but the images you use for each post should be clear and most importantly BE YOUR OWN or CREDITED. That's something I learned after revamping too.

4. Connecting with Readers

Blogging is a form of spreading one's thoughts. But well, it's not much fun if you just put your thoughts out there and receive no response, right? So advertising is one thing that I learned to do, as well as moderately (because mean no one wants to go to your Twitter feed and just see you advertising for your blog right?). I try and reply to every single message I get, as well as retweet and tweet a variety of things so no one gets bored. Also, the commenting and commenting back rule some bloggers use helps out. Someone comments on my blog, I'll be sure to comment back on their blog. Basically I learned to spread the love.

5. Learning from Others

I stalk a lot of people's blogs. Why? Because I'm still learning. Just because I've finally gotten past one month, I'm still learning how to do blogging things. Most people have been blogging way longer than I have and have their own style of doing things, but me? I have almost nothing at the moment. Learning from other blogs is what's going to help shape my own style of blogging. Plus, it's pretty easy to do, to get help I mean. I tweet a question on Twitter, I'll most likely get a reply. So many great people that I've met just from starting conversations there. I love all of you so freaking much.





So this is the end of my blogiversary post. I hope the 5 things that I've learned have helped you too. Also, I would hold a giveaway, but I don't really have anything to give away at the moment. All I have to give is my endless thanks and love for making this happen. So again, thank you all so much. Merci mille fois. I really can't thank you guys enough.

~Em (piplupsshadow)

16 comments:

  1. This is such an awesome and truthful post. I've been blogging for around the same time yiu Have, and have learned and accepted most of these also.

    Congrats on your one month bloggaversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ten! I'm glad I wasn't the only one who had to learn all these things in the process. There's definitely a lot more to learn about blogging tbh.

      And thanks! Congrats to you too for blogging about a month!

      Delete
  2. I'm almost at the six month point for my blog and I'm still learning stuff too! The thing that I'm SURE I can help you with is posting more regularly! Well, maybe what worked for me won't work for you, but maybe it will! I implemented a blog schedule and I found it so much easier to post regularly. Because I had a set type of post to have up everyday so I wouldn't stare at my blog and be like, 'what now?' I do reviews on Monday, Top Ten Tuesday on Tuesday, Waiting on Wednesday on Wednesday, Discussions on Thursday, Off or another review on Friday, Stacking the Shelves on Saturday, and whatever or a blog tag on Sunday. I figured if I started to get lots of books read to where I needed more review days in a week, I could always get rid of a meme. I like the memes though! I hope that's at least semi helpful to you. That's something I think I just did within the last month. But congrats on your one month blogaversary and here's to hoping that there's many more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cyra! I hope there are definitely many more blogiversaries! Also, learning stuff never really does end, does it? ;) Don't worry about it, your advice is definitely very helpful! I actually was thinking of a blogging schedule, the only problem for me is the actual TIME to write it tbh. I have all these super cool ideas, but school sometimes drags me down... Right now I've been posting the TTT on Tuesdays, something on Friday/Saturday (Stacking the Shelves, Recap etc.) and something on Sunday (Review etc.). I just feel that it hasn't quite been enough so *shrugs* I'll think of something. :) Thanks again Cyra!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your one month blogiversary! :) I haven't been blogging that long either so I feel like there's still a lot to learn! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Raisa! As my grandfather always used to say, "Learning is a lifelong journey, it never stops." ;) And with blogging, there's always new techniques or other things to try... omg I'll probably never get to it all. No problem! I'm always here if you need anything!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on hitting one month!!! All blog start somewhere and time is the key. It takes time to build friendships and learn new things. But most importantly your blog is yours! You have the awesome privilege to write about whatever you want and whenever you want. :) It's nice great getting to know you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sarah!! Time is definitely the key!! It's only been a month, and I've already met so many cool people in the blogger-verse! (Such as you!) And even though it's only been a month, I love being able to talk about whatever I want and get people who will discuss it with me, it's just an awesome feeling I haven't been able to have in a while. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for spreading your knowledge! All bloggers should be aware of what you've shared :) These are wonderful points, and they are wonderfully worded. I think the best thing to come out of having a blog, and what any blogger should aim for if they are aiming for anything, ...is the relationships! It's so fun talking with people on the regular, forming bond over books, and learning opinions. There is so much to know and to do and it's FUN!

    Your blog IS looking rather sleek :D I like the color scheme! You're doing good with this thing and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY DEAR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! You flatter me <3 Definitely the RELATIONSHIPS are probably one of my favourite parts of having started a blog! It's so much fun have people talk about books because a lot of my irl friends aren't much of a reader anymore.

      Thanks, I'm pretty proud of the banner, background and colours! Took forever trying to think of a good one! :D Love the design of your blog as well! I can't thank you enough!

      Delete
  6. First off, Happy one month! I been blogging for about 18 months now and I am still learning new things all the time. I don't think we never stop learning things. I own a blog with my best friend, and it is rough to get a post in everyday (We manage most times) but it is a lot of time, and sometimes you don't have it. That is perfectly okay! I thought the same thing about followers when I first started blogging, so don't be embarrassed. I think everyone does. But over time, you visit other blogs, tweet out links and talk to other bloggers the views come in. Keep your head up! This was a great post, and I am glad you are getting the hang of it <3

    Amber ♥ The Book Bratz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I just sometimes feel I'm not posting enough in general if you know what I mean? I get in maybe 2-3 posts a week during the end and beginning, so the middle is kind of just empty? Hahaha... I was worried I'd be the only one who thought that about followers. lol. I actually think my blog is doing pretty well for just one month tbh. I got over 1000 views in one month so I'm pretty proud of that at the moment. But, I'll definitely keep my head up! Thanks for the encouragement and for reading! I appreciate it!! :D

      Delete
  7. Eep! Thank you for the shoutout Em! And every single one of these things are true. It's great tips for other even newer bloggers than you and I! Happy one month blogiversary Em! Now that I think of it, I think I missed mine. >.< Whoops, but it's awesome that you've stuck through this long!!! 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Claire! I give credit and shout outs when they are due. ;) I feel this post is definitely helpful to new bloggers! It's great to see that people are already finding this helpful! And aww, maybe you can do one when you reach 6 months?! It's great that we are getting though this together! Congrats on passing your first month too, Claire! Thanks again for reading! <3

      Delete
  8. Wow! I can't believe that you have only been blogging for a month! I wish that this post was around when my blog was only one month old :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... doesn't it feel like I just started?! XD I definitely learned a lot from Nori's Basics to Book Blogging posts, I'm glad I had those resources! Thanks for reading, Gianna! I really appreciate it! :)

      Delete

Comment: